Monday, December 03, 2007

Wave Warriors in the Duck Pond


Thats the Duck Pond at Exmouth. I've never been there before, but its quite a good location. Shallow safe water. I understand it is only useable for a couple of hours either side of high tide, and I admit we were running out of water pretty fast. Lots of interest though. Si we rigged up in wind that was about 8-14mph, so a bit marginal for the wave warriors, but we were there and needed to play.

A few lessons learned.
1. You do need a good breeze to get going (15mph++), and when you have it - you can just step on and go.
2. If you try starting in less than perfect wind, its hard work and frustrating.
3. I forgot my recoiling kitesurfing leash, so had to use 2 kitewing normal leashes. One on my board and one on the wing. This worked pretty well, and the board was a little more under my control than with the recoiling one.
4. I still start hooked in, when in marginal conditions, it gives you extra lift and is less likely to sink the board.
5. I tried one turn, but quickly sank (need more wind!)